Thursday, July 19, 2007

Emma

Emma (1996) (TV)


Director: Diarmuid Lawrence

Starring: Kate Beckinsale, Mark Strong, Samantha Bond, and Samantha Morton

Description: Emma Woodhouse has a rigid sense of propriety as regards matrimonial alliances. Unfortunately she insists on matchmaking for her less forceful friend, Harriet, and so causes her to come to grief. Through the sharp words of Mr. Knightley, and the example of the opinionated Mrs. Elton, someone not unlike herself, Emma's attitudes begin to soften.

Review: I was curious to see the BBC version of this story. I have to say I was rather disappointed. There seemed to be little to no chemistry between Beckinsale and Strong. After watching the movie, I am curious as to why Emma and Mr. Knightly loved each other. Knightly is barking at everyone the entire movie. Its really hard to see why anyone would like him (perhaps his huge fortune). If the casting were different, it might have saved the production. I would rather watch the Hollywood version of this story.

Score: 2.5 out of 5

Book Connections: One of the many film adaptations of Jane Austen's novel Emma. This book was somewhat difficult for me to get into. I didn't find it as enjoyable as her other novels. I did get it on audio book and perhaps I will enjoy that better than reading it for myself.

Emma by Jane Austen (1816)

No comments: