Sunday, July 15, 2007

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2007)


Director: David Yates

Starring: Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, and Rupert Grint

Description: After a lonely summer on Privet Drive, Harry returns to a Hogwarts full of ill-fortune. Few of students and parents believe him or Dumbledore that Voldemort is really back. The ministry had decided to step in by appointing a new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher that proves to be the nastiest person Harry has ever encountered. Harry also can't help stealing glances with the beautiful Cho Chang. To top it off are dreams that Harry can't explain, and a mystery behind something Voldemort is searching for. With these many things Harry begins one of his toughest years at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

Review: What an awesome movie! I was blown away by this adaptation. Yates did a good job with a difficult book. After I read this book I had no idea how they were going to make this into a movie. There was so much in the book, but I feel they covered the most important parts. Yes, some things were changed, but I did like the changes. They made the movie flow well. I think my favorite parts were the action towards the end. The battle in the Department of Mysteries was awesome. I nearly wet myself watching it. I have heard many complaints that so much was left out, but I felt the filmmakers kept the spirit of the story alive. Yes, this one is definitely dark as will the later installments be. Harry Potter is no longer for the little ones, but I think that is a good thing. All in all, an excellent flick.

Score: 5 out of 5

Book Connections: David Yates brought the magic of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix to the big screen. The first time I read this book I didn't like it as much. Harry was so full of angst. He was so very angry throughout the book and to be honest, he annoyed the crap out of me. In subsequent reading, I have begun to like to book more. I think this is one of the most action packed book to date, but we shall have to see with the new one coming out. So, not my favorite, but definitely worth a second look.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J. K. Rowling (2003)

No comments: