Sunday, July 1, 2007

The Way We Live Now


The Way We Live Now (2001)(Mini)


Director: David Yates

Starring: David Suchet, Matthew MacFadyen, Shirley Henderson, Paloma Baeza, Cillian Murphy, and Miranda Otto.

Description: At the centre of the story is Augustus Melmotte (David Suchet), a European-born city financier, whose origins are as mysterious as his business dealings. Trollope describes him as 'something in the city', but the "something" part is not always clear. Within weeks of arriving in London, he announces a new company and promises instant fortune to those who join him in this scheme. Melmotte is surrounded by a circle of decadent aristos, scheming widows and nouveau riche businessmen, all trying to get a piece of the financial pie. His disobedient daughter, Marie, is played by Shirley Henderson, while Cheryl Campbell, Matthew Macfadyen and Paloma Baeza bring to life the aristocratic but impoverished Carbury family.

Review: What an outstanding production. This was a very good costume drama. The acting was very well. David Suchet was outstanding. I already love him as Poirot, but he was just excellent as Mellmotte. I found Matthew MacFadyen to be so alive. He seems so stiff in some other roles, but here he was outstanding. The rest of the cast just made this movie so fun to watch. I also waneted to check this movie out to see what kind of director David Yates was. I found the production so delightful that I can't wait to see what he does to Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. Overall, this is a mini-series to see.

Score: 5 out of 5

Book Connections: This mini-series was based off of the novel of the same title by Anthony Trollope. I had no experience with this novel, but I find that I am definitely intrigued by it and will have to check it out. From reviews I have read it appears that this production stayed close to the book, but I will have to judge that for myself.


The Way We Live Now by Anthony Trollope (1875)

No comments: