Saturday, July 7, 2007

Orlando

Orlando (1992)


Director: Sally Potter

Starring: Tilda Swinton

Description: Young nobleman Orlando is commanded by Queen Elizabeth I to stay forever young. Miraculously, he does just that. The film follows him as he moves through several centuries of British history, experiencing a variety of lives and relationships along the way, and even changing sex.

Review: Definitely a different movie. I have to say this was one of the more strange movies that I have seen in a while. I think Tilda Swinton did quite a good job with this role. All of the other characters just seemed thrown in the mix in an odd sort of way. It makes me want to read the book just to see what the story really was about. I don't think that Sally Potter really gave enough information as to what was going on. I don't think I would really recommend this movie.

Score: 1.5 out of 5

Book Connections: Sally Potter attempted to bring the novel (of the same name) by Virginia Woolf to the big screen. I have not yet read the book, but I think I will just to see what the real story is all about. The idea is interesting and I really want to see where Virginia Woolf was going with it.

Orlando by Virginia Woolf (1973)

No comments: